Information Management Skills and Competencies
Database management; website development; trail and facility inventories; trail assessment and maintenance records; identifying and gathering needed information.
American Trails Staff
Skills for Database Management
- Identifying information needs for contacts, volunteers, projects, maintenance, etc.
- Creating database structures for effective information management
- Managing and maintaining databases
- Developing agreements for data sharing and development
Skills for Website Development
- Identifying information needs and goals for online information
- Applying the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Apply National Trails System Act and related legislation for federally designated trails
- Managing and maintaining websites
Skills for Geographic Information Systems
- Using global positioning systems (GPS) to inventory trails and trail resources
- Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for mapping and planning trails
- Training staff and volunteers to gather and document data on trails
Skills for Accessibility and Trail Assessment
- Manage information from Universal Trail Assessment Process reviews
- Track information on projects and improvements needed to improve accessibility
- Track information on trail maintenance and construction projects
Skills for Research
- Research and document trail history in archives, publications, and oral sources
More Articles in this Category
National Conservation Training Center
The National Conservation Training Center (NCTC) offers a unique and diverse range of conservation training courses, designed by and for the conservation professional.
Resource Protection and Monitoring Skills and Competencies
Specific skills used in management of natural resources that host trails and greenways: monitoring impacts of visitors and natural processes; acquisition and protection of trail corridors; conservation and restoration of habitat and natural areas.