Mountain Biking Comes to Town
Bike parks are not trails. They are managed similarly to city parks. They require a higher standard of care. They need to be professionally designed and constructed.
International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA),
Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association
New school mountain biking - bike parks come to town!
Bike park project considerations.
- Vision: Facilities built for Mountain Biking.
- Community: Successful bike parks result from community-driven efforts.
- Fundraising: Big ticket projects require substantial funding, but the money is out there.
- Planning: Partners need to be organized for the work ahead.
- Design: Find the right balance of riding elements and apply them to a specific location
- Construction: From site preparation to ribbon cutting, the build demands a professional approach.
- Management: Maintenance, risk management and programing will be ongoing.
Bike Parks Are:
- Bike-specific, self-contained facilities open to the public.
- Usually comprised of two or more bike specific tracks or trails.
- Include constructed features designed for bikes, in most cases made of dirt, rock, or wood.
SPEAK, BUILD, RESPECT, RIDE!
Published June 2015