WildCorps Project Leader
July 12, 2018
Location: Crew housing in the Yucca Valley, CA area. Crew projects will be field based in often primitive camping locations.
Time Commitment: Program Dates: September 16th, 2018 – March 16th, 2019 Training Dates: September 2nd – September 8th, 2018 (tentative)
WildCorps is a unique part of SCA’s Desert Restoration Corps (DRC) which is a partnership between SCA and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Since 2001, SCA members have worked with the BLM to address a variety of desert-related Wilderness issues from monitoring Wilderness character, directly restoring damaged habitat from Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) intrusion, to public outreach. Over the years, SCA members have been directly responsible for developing and testing best practices of restoration techniques and maintaining Wildernesses protected under the Wilderness Act of 1964.
The crew will be based in southeastern California and travel to various worksites throughout the California Desert District to work on projects in partnership with the BLM. Projects may include, though are not limited to: water, wildlife, and resource monitoring; invasive species monitoring and management; trail work and assessment; fence construction/removal; trail maintenance; public outreach events, and Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) restoration.
During field-based hitches of up to 10 days in length, the crew will live and work out of tent camps in close proximity to worksites. Occasionally, projects may require the crew to backpack into Wilderness Areas. Field-life is rugged, and while on hitch, members should expect to live without electricity, running water, and cell phone reception; additionally, while on hitch, this program is alcohol and substance free. Members will typically have 3-5 days off between hitches. For crew will have housing in the Yucca Valley, CA area, and will use this housing as a base of operations for their project and members will be permitted to reside at the house during days off.
Check out the Desert Restoration Corps homepage for an in-depth look at what our WildCorps and other DRC crews have been up to.
- Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
- Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
- Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US.
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: September 2-8, 2018
- Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Experience working with young adults 18-25 years old, teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. habitat restoration, trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
Salary and Benefits
$600/week total salary, paid biweekly and benefits eligible. Housing and field-based meals provided. Tents and group gear provided.
More jobs with Student Conservation Association (SCA)
- July 12, 2018: SCA Veteran Fire Corps Project Leader
- July 02, 2018: SCA US Army Corps of Engineers GIS Project Leader
- July 02, 2018: SCA Los Padres Los Padres Trail Corps Project Leader
- June 26, 2018: SCA National Capitol Region Survey Team
- June 25, 2018: SCA Los Padres Fuels Reduction Project Leader
- June 25, 2018: SCA Prescribed Fire Corps Project Leader
- June 25, 2018: SCA Veteran Fire Corps- Spring Project Leader
- June 25, 2018: SCA South East Roving Trail Team Project Leader
- June 18, 2018: SCA Desert Restoration Corps Project Leader
- June 18, 2018: Excelsior Conservation Corps Project Leader - Mixed Stewardship
- June 06, 2018: SCA National High School Crew Leader - 2018
- June 06, 2018: SCA Veteran Fire Corps Project Leader
- May 22, 2018: SCA Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps Summer Crew Leader
- May 22, 2018: SCA NY & NJ Community Crew Leader
- May 22, 2018: SCA GulfCorps Project Leader
- May 22, 2018: SCA Pittsburgh Community Apprentice Crew Leader
- April 19, 2018: SCA Chicago Community Crew Leader
- April 19, 2018: SCA Houston Community Crew Leader