Posted: August 07, 2019
Location: Sheridan, Wyoming
Time Commitment: Full-time
This is a shared position of the Sheridan Community Land Trust (SCLT) and Antelope Butte Foundation (AB). This is a full time, benefited position, with all work being done in and around Sheridan, Wyoming; no travel out of area will be necessary. For 7 months /year the TM is responsible for building and maintaining a growing non-motorized, natural surface trail, single-track styled trail network for the Sheridan Community Land Trust. For 5 months / year the TM is responsible for grooming and maintaining downhill runs and cross-country trails at a year-round recreation resort for the Antelope Butte Foundation.
This position requires extensive experience in building trails including operating a mini-excavator and other trail building equipment/tools, finish work, and knowledge of trail design and layout. Experience with the operation of snow grooming equipment and snowmobiles is desired however job-specific training can be provided. During the 7 months /year with SCLT, you will occasionally work with a part time, local machine operator providing guidance, oversite and assistance with finish work, and you will oversee a seasonal trail technician, volunteers, and outside contractors when needed in the building and maintenance of trails.
Description of Duties - for SCLT
- Construct new trails. This includes coordinating activities thru to completion, acquisition of essential materials, and providing oversite and lead on any necessary workforce upholding SCLT standards and expectations for the projects.
- Complete all infrastructure development. This involves installation of elements such as bridges, fences and fence crossings, signage, dog waste stations, benches, fix-it stations, kiosks, etc.
- Carry out maintenance and improvement projects that ensure all the various SCLT recreational resources, infrastructure and equipment are appropriately serviced and in high quality condition. This includes maintenance of erosion control features, brushing/mowing trails/portages with power equipment, maintenance of all native and manmade features, clearing refuse, debris, etc. from trails/trailheads/water trails, and on-going weed management.
- Develop and maintain budget with the ED and SCLT staff for trail construction and maintenance.
- Assist PM in monitoring of trail conditions and inventorying trail maintenance needs. The list of maintenance and infrastructure priorities will be overseen by the ED.
- Oversee seasonal Trails Technician. Supervise position including coordinating projects, staging materials, providing oversight.
- Carry out Volunteer Activities. Work with PM to create projects appropriate for a variety of ages and abilities. When a project is identified for a volunteer event, TM duties will include acquiring and staging all necessary material then working with volunteers to completion.
- Act as an ambassador for SCLT to encourage responsible trail use and to raise additional supporters for ongoing SCLTwork. Educate users and volunteers about SCLT's programs in the community.
- Perform other recreation-related miscellaneous tasks as needed.
Description of Duties - for AB
- Groom and maintain downhill runs and cross-country trails.
- Maintain the equipment's maintenance schedule.
- Perform other related miscellaneous tasks as needed.
- Experience using mini excavator to build new, non-motorized trails.
- Experience in trail design and layout.
- Experience with other trail tools and equipment for finish work and maintenance purposes.
- Experience with snow groomer and snowmobile
- Specific Knowledge of mountain biking, hiking, trail running, and snow sports is a plus.
- Ability to perform work independently/unsupervised following written and oral direction involving multiple task assignments.
- Ability to work effectively with others; to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Possess a vehicle capable of hauling materials/equipment/small utility trailer.
Physical Requirements and Work Conditions:
- Physical exertion will be expected; job requires frequent bending, lifting and carrying objects 40-60 lbs.
- Ability to work effectively for extended periods, sit for long periods on an excavator, work out-of-doors, at times in inclement weather and uneven terrain.
- Willingness to work in environments where exposure to ticks, noxious weeds, warm and cold weather can occur.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Must possess a valid driver's license and an acceptable motor vehicle record.
- Background (Criminal) Check
Salary and Benefits
Pay: DOE. Hourly. Plus standard IRS mileage compensation for personal vehicle use used during working hours. Insurance and other benefit(s): Paid vacation/holidays, health insurance stipend, IRA contribution, phone stipend.
Email a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to director @sh er idanclt.org . Please use subject line: "Trail Builder Application". Applications are only accepted electronically. No calls please. The position is open until filled. SCLT is an equal opportunity employer.