Trail Crew Member
Posted: February 10, 2020
Location: Pittsfield, MA
Time Commitment: Seasonal, Full-time,
This is a full-time seasonal position (approximately May 5 through October 30) involving the construction of new hiking trails and the reconstruction/maintenance of existing trails on Berkshire Natural Resources Council properties. The majority of the season will be spent building hiking trails and paths, and constructing trail features such as retaining walls, steps, bog bridging, constructed tread, and other trail features. Other duties include hiking existing trails to clear blowdowns, assess trail maintenance needs and make repairs, and other stewardship related tasks. The crew may also assist with outreach events such as guided public hikes and volunteer workdays. The Trail Crew will enjoy a high level of independence and self-motivation is required.
- Complete reconstructive building projects including, but not limited to: tread construction, tread hardening, rock construction (cribbing, staircases).
- Perform trail maintenance (with appropriate training and guidance) to a high standard of quality.
- Work collaboratively with trail crewmates, staff across the organization, and with volunteers, youth and professional trail crews.
- Represent BNRC with integrity and professionalism at work and when engaging with the public
- Use and maintain vehicles, tools and equipment to high safety standards.
- Other duties as required.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with other team members.
- Ability to complete assigned projects and tasks, meet deadlines, and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to learn on the job and adopt specific construction methods and skills as prescribed.
- Commitment to natural resource protection and Leave No Trace ethics.
- Strong commitment to quality work, a positive attitude, and a professional demeanor.
- Commitment to friendly and helpful interaction with hikers and other BNRC visitors on the trails and in public
- Interest in learning about trail design and treatments and developing trail building skills
- Must be able to hike with up to 50 pounds of gear and tools.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be able to travel throughout Berkshire County to work in remote locations.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required.
- Experience working with volunteer groups welcomed.
Salary and Benefits
$14-$16 per hour depending on experience. BNRC offers excellent benefits including 401k eligibility, as well as health insurance, paid sick and vacation time.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Tyler Fogg at [email protected]or (413) 499-0596.