Trail Crew Leader
Posted: January 10, 2019
Location: Lands managed by the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, NV
Time Commitment: Late May – September 2019
The Trail Crew Leader will be required to supervise up five crew members; be responsible for the safety of trail crew members, volunteers, and Forest visitors; additionally, the Leader will be responsible for pre-trip logistics and post-trip record-keeping. This is a seasonal position that begins in mid-May and ends in September 2019.
Location: The qualified person will be focused on working in a backcountry setting. Due to the remote nature of the work sites, camping will be required most nights during the week at undeveloped, backcountry recreation sites. Reliable transportation to the Reno NV office is essential.
- Preferable (3) years trail work with (2) years of verifiable outdoor leadership experience.
- Level of physical fitness enabling the crew leader to hike ten miles per day with a 40-60lb pack.
- Map reading will be essential along with knowledge of GPS handheld devices.
- 25 years of age or older with a valid driver’s license.
- Personal hiking and backpacking equipment required (please inquire about specific equipment needs).
- Must possess the knowledge and skills to maintain wilderness trails to US Forest Service standards.
- Must be able to triage trails, set priorities, and have the ability to make hard decisions in the field.
- Must have a clear vision, integrity, and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Must be able follow directions, and give clear goals and deadlines and follow protocols.
- Must be able to recognize success, empower others, motivate and inspire.
- Must make safety a priority both on and off work time while in the field.
- Must be able to work with and manage and diverse group of crew members.
- Must possess a working knowledge of tools, safety equipment and how to maintain them properly.
- Must have the ability to perform the hard labor required of trail work for 10 hours a day for 8 days straight.
- Must be able to plan trips, group meals, and have basic cooking skills.
- Must be able to work in remote locations on multi-day trips, while carrying all tools and equipment for the job.
Friends of Nevada Wilderness is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary and Benefits
$16-$18 hourly rate DOE. Vehicle restricted to work-related travel will be provided. No lodging or housing will be provided. There are no benefits associated with this position.
Email a cover letter, resume and (3) references Attn: Darcy Shepard to email@example.com . Do not mail hard copy materials. For questions on position details contact the Associate Director, Kurt Kuznicki (775) 324-7667 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit the Friends of Nevada Wilderness website
More jobs with Friends of Nevada Wilderness