Seasonal Trail Stewardship Coordinator
Posted: February 22, 2021
Location: Bonner County ID, Sanders County, or Southern Lincoln County MT
Time Commitment: April 19, 2021 to October 15, 2021
The Trail Stewardship Coordinator position is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys working in the outdoors and is ready to meet great people dedicated to caring for our public lands. Most of the project days will focus on maintaining trails in the Scotchman Peaks roadless area. The Seasonal Trail Stewardship Coordinator is a 20-30 hours/week, term limited, non-exempt position that reports to FSPW’s Executive Director.
This position works in coordination with outreach staff to recruit volunteers for the season. This position is responsible for stewardship project management, volunteer recruitment, coordination, training and management, and recording outcomes.
Project and Volunteer Coordination
- Coordinate volunteer stewardship projects by:
o Facilitating project planning and communications with the U.S. Forest Service and
other partner organizations
o Coordinating and training volunteer project teams
o Providing on-site staff leadership for projects
o Facilitating pre-and-post project volunteer communications
o Managing project-related logistics
- Recruit volunteers and potential supporters of FSPW
- Acquire and maintain accurate project data and volunteer records
- Assist with project development and partner relationships for future projects
- Provide on-going assistance with tool maintenance
- Oversee the use of the FSPW cache of tools, trail supplies and personal protective gear
- Provide administrative support (e.g. data/report preparation for stewardship projects)
- Assist with communications about the Trail Stewardship program and projects
- Perform related duties to support FSPW’s mission
- Previous outdoor leadership experience
- Previous trail stewardship experience using traditional trail tools (cross-cut saws, Pulaskis, etc).
- Valid Wilderness & Remote First Aid certification (FSPW will be offering a course in May)
- Ability to maintain a safe working environment for staff and volunteers
- Experience coordinating and management volunteers and working with the public.
- Willingness and ability to work weekends and possible evenings based on project requirements
- Willingness and ability to travel around the Scotchman Peaks area and work in a variety of outdoor environments and weather conditions
- Excellent people skills, customer service orientation, and public speaking skills
- Ability to self-initiate and self-direct workflow
- Team player with initiative, determination, flexibility and a sense of humor
- Computer literate including email, data entry, and internet use
- Valid driver’s license and excellent motor vehicle record required
- Comfort working in front and backcountry settings and in inclement weather
- Comfort working with and training volunteers on hand tools
- Strong hiking ability with capacity to carry trail tools (sturdy boots and rain gear necessary)
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
Salary and Benefits
The wage range for this position begins at $15/hour commensurate with experience. This is a nonexempt position. This position is anticipated to work 20-30 hours per week. Employee will earn overtime pay in the event that 40 hours in a given week is exceeded.
Send a cover letter, resume and three references in a single PDF to [email protected]. Include “Trail Stewardship Coordinator” in the subject line.