Seasonal Natural Areas Technician
Posted: February 05, 2019
Location: Ravenna, Ohio
Time Commitment: Seasonal Full Time 40 hours/week up to 800 hours
The Portage Park District operates almost 2,000 acres of parkland and 14 miles of hike and bike trails across Portage County. The mission of the Portage Park District is to conserve Portage County’s natural heritage and provide opportunities for its appreciation and enjoyment.
Under direction of the Natural Areas Steward, assists with all aspects and duties related to natural resource management and stewardship; duties chiefly focused on controlling invasive plant species, identifying and protecting high quality habitats, maintenance of meadow and early successional habitats, establishing and maintaining restored natural plant communities
- Monitoring natural areas for community quality and negative impacts
- Controlling invasive plant species using chemical, manual and cultural methods
- Maintaining meadow and early successional habitats with brush hogging
- Planting and maintaining trees and shrubs or other plant species
- GPS mapping of natural resources and stewardship activities
- Completing and maintaining herbicide application records
- Maintenance and organization of stewardship tools and supplies
- Assist with inventory of natural resources (i.e. plant communities, wetlands, streams, etc.)
- Guide and work with volunteers to accomplish stewardship tasks and projects
- Entry and compilation of various data gathered pertaining to natural area stewardship
- Assist with the restoration and repair of trails and other use areas affecting the health of natural areas
- Assist and accommodate staff, researchers and students from partner agencies and academia
- Assist other staff and departments as directed to complete other tasks, projects and events necessary for the operation of Portage Park District.
Current or past enrollment in environmental/conservation studies or completion of such course work is preferred, high school diploma required as minimum. Previous experience in natural resource stewardship is useful, but not necessary. Applicants shall possess a strong desire to practice and develop skills necessary for the stewardship of natural areas. Possession of Ohio Department of Agriculture Commercial Pesticide Applicator License helpful, completion of the Trained Service Persons manual required minimally.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Interest in and support of the Portage Park District mission.
- General knowledge and understanding of natural habitats occurring in the Portage County region, with current skills or desire to identify local floral and faunal species.
- Knowledge and experience in the proper use and maintenance of appropriate vehicles, tools and equipment related to natural area stewardship, such as: trucks, tractors, chainsaws, mowers, pesticide sprayers, hand tools, power tools.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, pesticide labels, procedure manuals and other educational manuals and instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing; take direction and follow instructions.
- General skill with the use of GPS unit, compass and maps, and ability to successfully navigate through natural areas.
- Basic skill with word processing and spreadsheet programs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, sit, walk over rough terrain, cycle, use hands and fingers to handle, grasp, feel, type, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and lift 80 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the regular duties of this job, the employee works in a natural park environment with exposure to a broad range of outside weather conditions including wet, windy and/or humid conditions and temperatures below 32 degrees and above 100 degrees for periods of more than an hour.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in this position may at times be extreme. The employee may be exposed to various communicable diseases, insects, animals and poisonous plants. The employee may be exposed to outside pollutants in the air, water or land. The employee may be exposed to various chemicals, oils and pesticides.
- Employee is frequently required to travel to parks throughout the District
- Employee may have an irregular schedule if necessary and often may be required to work independently with little or no supervision, and as a team member or supervisor of a work crew.
- Employee must maintain a respectable appearance and be able to pleasantly and helpfully interact
with the public as necessary.
Salary and Benefits
$9.00 – 11.50/Hr depending on qualifications and experience
For a complete job description and application form visit http://portageparkdistrict.org/news/notices/; call the Park District at 330-297-7728 or email email@example.com
Mail or email completed application, resume’ and cover letter to:
Portage Park District
705 Oakwood St. Suite G-4
Ravenna, Ohio 44266
Position open until filled
More jobs with Portage Park District