SCA National Capitol Region Survey Team
June 26, 2018
Location: Washington DC Region
Time Commitment: August 6th - September 17th, 2018
Be a part of a team of 3 data collectors, collecting visitor survey data in six National Parks throughout the National Capital Region (DC, MD. VA). Team members will assist with social science research and data collection in parks. Members will engage in multiple steps in the social science research process. Data topics include visitor characteristics, transportation experiences, and evaluations of transportation services available in and outside the parks. Results of the study will be used to help National Park Service staff develop required transportation plans for the region and improve visitor experiences. In addition to field research experience, team members will also gain valuable experience with a nationally-recognized research consulting firm, providing a look into private sector career paths in parks and protected areas management, as well as knowledge of visitor use and transportation planning in parks and protected areas.
The Survey Team will collect visitor survey data in parks throughout the National Capital Region of the National Park Service. Crew will typically work five days a week Monday-Friday, with possible work on Saturdays and Sundays. Crew will work a total of 5 days per week for a total of 40 hours. Each workday is expected to be 8-9 hours long and will be outdoors. Leader will be responsible for additional work and reporting outside of normal crew work schedule. The crew members will report end-of-day numbers to the Crew Leader, who will in turn report to the Project Manager (PM). The Crew Leader will serve as the point of contact between the field and the PM.
- Members must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Leader must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Leader must have a valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Leader must have current First Aid and CPR certification
- Members and leader must have their own housing in the DC metro area
- High degree of personal accountability to ensure timely, systematic, and consistent conduct of data collection tasks.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail and a good sense of quality control in the data collection process.
- Good note taking skills, particularly to document unusual or unexpected circumstances that can affect data collection tasks.
- Ability and desire to work outdoors through a range of potentially challenging weather conditions (heat, rain, etc.).
- Ability to walk short distances (less than 1 mile one-way) on consecutive days on potentially varied terrain.
- Previous experience with data collection of other aspects of scientific studies is desirable, but not necessary.
- Willingness to learn the ins and outs of protected areas social science research methodology from start to finish.
Salary and Benefits
Members: $530/week total salary; Leader: $650/week total salary. Leader expected to work more than 40+ hours per week
More jobs with Student Conservation Association (SCA)
- July 12, 2018: WildCorps Project Leader
- July 12, 2018: SCA Veteran Fire Corps Project Leader
- July 02, 2018: SCA US Army Corps of Engineers GIS Project Leader
- July 02, 2018: SCA Los Padres Los Padres Trail Corps Project Leader
- June 25, 2018: SCA Los Padres Fuels Reduction Project Leader
- June 25, 2018: SCA Prescribed Fire Corps Project Leader
- June 25, 2018: SCA Veteran Fire Corps- Spring Project Leader
- June 25, 2018: SCA South East Roving Trail Team Project Leader
- June 18, 2018: SCA Desert Restoration Corps Project Leader
- June 18, 2018: Excelsior Conservation Corps Project Leader - Mixed Stewardship
- June 06, 2018: SCA National High School Crew Leader - 2018
- June 06, 2018: SCA Veteran Fire Corps Project Leader
- May 22, 2018: SCA Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps Summer Crew Leader
- May 22, 2018: SCA NY & NJ Community Crew Leader
- May 22, 2018: SCA GulfCorps Project Leader
- May 22, 2018: SCA Pittsburgh Community Apprentice Crew Leader
- April 19, 2018: SCA Chicago Community Crew Leader
- April 19, 2018: SCA Houston Community Crew Leader