Posted: July 25, 2019
Location: San Francisco, CA
The Development Manager reports to the Development Director and is responsible for providing integral support in serving and cultivating the Ridge Trail’s 4,000 active donors through concise and inspiring communication and detailed campaign execution. Located in the beautiful Presidio, this is a full-time exempt position and is an exciting opportunity for someone who is interested in a career in nonprofit fundraising. We are proud to promote hard-working, inspired individuals. Flexible hours and less than full-time are a possibility, if desired.
Under the direction of the Development Director and aid of a Direct Marketing consultant, plan and manage annual fund programs including renewal, year-end, and special appeals via email, mail and social media.
- Track and analyze results and recommend and implement changes to optimize results.Help create, maintain, and reforecast a yearly direct marketing budget.
- Support Operations Coordinator in processing donations and acknowledging gifts accurately and in a timely manner and assist with fulfillment of donor and sponsor benefits.
- Maintain donor database, including donor updates and donations tracking and reporting.
- Provide high quality customer service and problem solving by responding to member questions, issues and concerns. Follow up with members in a timely manner by mail, phone and email correspondence.
- Process special event and reception registrations and RSVPs.
- Assist in prospecting and mid to major donor research using online resources. Help create and maintain donor and prospect lists and profiles. Help provide high-touch acknowledgements to mid-level donors including phone calls and hand-written notes.
- Track proposal and reporting deadlines for all foundations and corporations.Assist in grant writing as needed.
- Assist Development Director through reporting and analysis as needed. Make fundraising presentations to the Board of Directors.
- Assist with planning and execution of donor and member cultivation events, including: tabling, receptions, and trail outings and events. Occasional evening and weekend participation may be required.
Create and maintain social media content and update web page content.
- Compose, edit and send electronic communications including: enews, blog posts, donor videos, and interactive displays.
- Manage and coordinate writers, designers, and mailing house for 2 printed newsletters and an annual report. Write copy as needed.
- Assist with design and proofreading for materials such as letters, invitations, brochures and announcements.
- A love of trails and a deep desire to inspire that love in others!
- Entrepreneurial spirit, enthusiasm for the mission and a passion for trails and open space.
- Demonstrated interest in fund development.
- Experience in coordinating and executing direct mail programs.
- Experience in non-profit communications includes electronic and printed media.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills to establish and maintain good working relationships.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to shift priorities, work and meet deadlines independently, while keeping supervisor informed.
- High level of computer proficiency is a must; including Microsoft Office, database management, and social media. Salesforce, Adobe CC (Photoshop, InDesign) and Wordpress knowledge a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work experience.
- Able to work nights and weekends occasionally, travel in the Bay Area, and possess a California Driver’s License. Access to a car is helpful.
- Ability to hike or ride on rugged trails and lift 25 pounds.
- 2-5 years experience in non-profit membership, fundraising, and/or marketing. Event planning/support experience a plus.
- Knowledge of Bay Area trails, outdoor recreation and/or advocacy is a plus.
Salary and Benefits
The Council strives to pay competitive salaries within the nonprofit community and compensation is based on experience. Benefits include paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, medical, dental and vision coverage, and 401K plan.
The Council is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse team. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and salary objectives to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Development Manager” in the subject line. Please visit www.ridgetrail.org for more information about the Ridge Trail.
- One-page cover letter
- Salary requirements
- Brief resume
- 2-3 work samples that demonstrate experience in individual giving and campaign strategy (e.g. funder proposal, donor profile, contact report, campaign plan, direct solicitation content for campaigns, etc.)