Maintenance Worker III
Posted: February 05, 2019
Location: Ravenna, Ohio
Time Commitment: Full Time, Part Time
The Portage Park District operates almost 2,000 acres of parkland and 14 miles of hike and bike trails across Portage County. The mission of the Portage Park District is to conserve Portage County’s natural heritage and provide opportunities for its appreciation and enjoyment.
This is a semi-skilled and skilled position within the Park District which performs in all areas of the operations department, including but not limited to: groundskeeping, equipment maintenance, mowing, trail trimming and maintenance, minor construction and repairs, painting, cleaning, landscaping, litter removal, herbicide application, and other duties necessary for the upkeep of the park and its facilities.
- Grounds keeping activities, such as litter and trash pickup, mowing, trimming, planting, snow removal, brush clearing, tree trimming and removal.
- Cleaning, maintenance and repair of restrooms, buildings, shelters, vehicles, equipment, and other maintenance activities.
- Assist with trail and facility construction and maintenance and special projects as required.
- Assist with natural areas management including planting, cultivation and herbicide application.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: this position minimally requires the following:
CERTIFICATES OR LICENSES:
- Possession of a valid Ohio driver license, insurable by the Park District’s insurance carrier and ability to conform to the driving standards policy as approved by the Board of Park Commissioners.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Any combination of training and experience that would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the tasks listed above. Minimum high school diploma or equivalent. Satisfactory criminal background check. Minimum of three-years’ experience in grounds maintenance, landscaping, building maintenance, and/or park-related maintenance
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Interest in and support of the Portage Park District mission
- Knowledge and experience in building and grounds construction, repair and maintenance practices, including safety procedures
- Knowledge and experience in the safe and proper use and maintenance of appropriate vehicles, tools and equipment related to Park District development and operations, including: 4x4 pickup truck and trailer, tractor with front-end loader and implements, dump truck, mini excavator, chainsaws, mowers, pesticide sprayers, hand tools, power tools.
- Mechanical ability with the ability to diagnose and repair minor mechanical issue.
- Math skills adequate to measure and calculate distance, area, volume, weight and time.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, procedure manuals and other educational manuals and instructions.
- Ability to use a computer or tablet and related software applications for word processing, spreadsheets, email and basic mapping and wayfinding
Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability and willingness to take direction, follow instructions, demonstrate regular attendance and maintain positive working relationships.
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize work assignments and implement schedules as assigned.
Ability to work independently and supervise other staff and volunteers.
- Exhibition of a professional and respectful demeanor and positive attitude.
- Other: A pre-employment Background Check and Drug Test are required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to drive a car or truck, stand, sit, walk over rough terrain, cycle, use hands and fingers to handle, grasp, feel, type, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and lift 80 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the regular duties of this job, the employee works in a natural park environment with exposure to a broad range of outside weather conditions including wet, windy and/or humid conditions and temperatures below 32 degrees and above 100 degrees for periods of more than an hour.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to and moving mechanical parts. The noise level in this position may at times be extreme. The employee may be exposed to various communicable diseases, insects, animals and poisonous plants. The employee may be exposed to outside pollutants in the air, water or land. The employee may be exposed to various chemicals, oils and pesticides.
- Employee is frequently required to travel to parks throughout the District.
- Employee may have an irregular schedule if necessary and often may be required to work independently with little or no supervision, and as a team member or supervisor of a work crew.
- Employee must maintain a respectable appearance and be able to pleasantly and helpfully interact with the public as necessary.
Salary and Benefits
For a complete job description and application form visit http://portageparkdistrict.org/news/notices/; call the Park District at 330-297-7728 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail or email completed application, resume’ and cover letter to:
Portage Park District
705 Oakwood St. Suite G-4
Ravenna, Ohio 44266
Position open until filled
More jobs with Portage Park District