Long Trail Patrol – Crew Members
Posted: January 14, 2021
Location: Waterbury Center, Vermont
Time Commitment: 2021 Position Dates: Full Season: May 31st – October 15th Summer Season: May 31st – August 13th Fall Season: August 9th – October 15th Commitment to full season preferred.
The Long Trail Patrol was established in 1931 as the official trail crew of the Green Mountain Club and has been a staple of our field staff ever since. The focus of the crew is to work on heavily used and damaged sections of trail throughout Vermont that require intensive trail repairs. Our LTP crews build staircases, bridges, waterbars, stepping stones, puncheon, and tread ladders, to name just a few examples. They work hard, have fun, and forge lasting friendships.
Crews consist of four to five crew members and one Crew Leader. Crews work Monday through Friday in the field in all weather (except blizzards). Monday through Thursday nights crews camp near their work sites and share a communal camp kitchen, as well as camp chores. LTP members provide their own personal camping gear and food. The GMC provides transportation to the work site, personal protective equipment, tools, and some group equipment (stove, cook-ware, first-aid supplies). Communal day-off housing is available in Waterbury Center or Danby, VT based on project locations.
- Complete trail maintenance and construction projects on hiking trails throughout Vermont as part of 4- or 5-person crew.
- Use trail tools in accordance with GMC safety protocol and comply with personal protective equipment requirements at all times.
- Perform weekly cleaning and maintenance of trail tools and camp gear.
- Share equal responsibilities in camp duties such as cooking, cleaning, and food storage.
- Maintain high standards of work in a range of weather conditions, including adverse conditions.
- Work in a professional and respectful manner with crew leader and fellow crew members.
- Utilize Leave No Trace practices while working and in camp.
- Serve as a backcountry representative of the GMC in interactions with the public as well as through behavior and backcountry practices.
- Assist with Monday morning group cleaning of Back Forty.
- Valid Driver’s License required
- Wilderness First Aid certification required (class available free-of-charge during training); WFR preferred (re-certification available free-of-charge during training)
- Extensive trail building and maintenance skills
- Extensive experience with trail building tools and basic power tools
- Trail building and maintenance skills preferred (training provided during orientation)
- Experience with hand tools and basic power tools
- Ability to perform difficult manual labor and to carry heavy loads as a regular part of the workday
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well as a member of a small group
- Strong backcountry living skills
- Experience working in small groups on focused projects
- Friendly and professional attitude towards hiking public
- Knowledge of Leave No Trace principles preferred (training provided during orientation)
- Wilderness First Aid Certification (class available free-of-charge during orientation)
Salary and Benefits
$480/week, plus housing for days off
To apply use link below:
To see all available positions click HERE
More jobs with Green Mountain Club