Posted: July 01, 2019
Location: San Antonio, TX
Time Commitment: Full-time
Under general supervision, is responsible for testing and inspecting irrigation systems in City facilities, conducting required maintenance of the irrigation systems, and installation of irrigation systems. Exercises functional supervision over assigned staff.
- Obtains information on existing site conditions and source of water.
- Maintains irrigation system, considering water supply, static water pressure, working water pressure, precipitation rate, soil, planting, and existing or planned improvements.
- Maintains water mains, cast iron and PVC pipes and hydraulic systems.
- Repairs or replaces inner parts of irrigation heads.
- Performs construction monitoring of irrigation systems as directed.
- Inspects non-potable water piping for irrigation and potable water piping for new and old buildings (drinking fountains, restrooms, etc.) as necessary.
- Adjusts gallons per minute on bubblers in tree planters.
- Assists and advises plumbers and contractors regarding irrigation installation regulations.
- Investigates and recommends corrective action for defective irrigation systems.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent (recognized by the Texas Education Agency or a regional accrediting agency).
- Four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in irrigation design, construction, and inspection, including one (1) year of supervisory or lead responsibility.
- Valid Class 'C' Texas Driver's License.
- Ability to read and write English.
- Basic computer skills.
- Familiar with SAP/CRM computer systems.
- Understanding the operation of irrigation time clocks and controllers.
- Knowledge of friction loss control tables.
- Knowledge of water usage rates and water conservation measures for drought situations.
- Knowledge of all irrigation products and hydraulics principles.
- Knowledge of sizing pipe materials.
- Knowledge of basic backflow principles.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to inspect irrigation blueprints.
- Ability to design and modify irrigation systems.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position.
- Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 10-15 pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate irrigation products and equipment. Subject to walking, reaching, pushing, sitting, standing, bending, and twisting to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are outside with exposure to temperature variations, damp/wet surfaces, hazardous materials, flammable liquids, and dust.
Salary and Benefits