Executive Director for the Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation
Posted: January 02, 2019
Location: Hungry Horse Ranger Station, Hungry Horse, Montana
Time Commitment: Full-time
As the face of the BMWF, the Executive Director works closely with the Board of Directors, U.S. Forest Service officials and the public. The Executive Director will ensure that staff members are aligned with the organization’s mission and vision and that we are working together to successfully achieve strategic objectives. The BMWF has a culture that places a high priority on positive leadership, communication, recognition and collaboration.
Leadership and Management
- Actively engage and energize BMWF volunteers, board members, partnering organizations and donors.
- Work with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities and mentor similar organizations.
- Manage and motivate a high-performing staff and oversee day-to-day operations.
- Develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan while playing a significant role in building annual, major and planned giving programs.
- Build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with new donors and political and community leaders.
- Assist with creating content for print and digital marketing materials.
- Develop an annual budget for board review and update as needed throughout the year based on fundraising and grant income.
- Collaborate with departments to plan annual budget needs.
- Oversee monthly bookkeeping duties.
- Create annual and quarterly financial reports.
- Manage and research grant application process to secure funding for volunteer programs and administrative costs.
- Collaborate with Assistant Director on research and writing grants.
- Work with the Forest Service to update and approve annual operating agreements.
- Work with the Program Director to ensure volunteer projects for the upcoming season are funded.
- Participate in annual meetings with Forest Service and Bob Marshall Complex managers to plan future projects.
- Participate on volunteer projects when possible.
- Attend BMWF Board Meetings and develop the agenda.
- Collaborate with the board on the development of policies.
- Assist in training new board members.
- Manage and help develop board strategic planning.
View the complete job listing and requirements online
Qualifications may be met by any combination of education and experience that provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed in the job description. Typically the Executive Director will have graduated from an accredited college with a major in wilderness management, recreation, natural resource management, outdoor education or closely-related field and have two years experience in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
The ideal Executive Director candidate will possess the following skills:
- Knowledge and experience with programs related or similar to Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation’s mission, vision, goals and objectives.
- Experience with a government agency, outdoor program, or non-profit organization.
- Fundraising experience, grant writing, and financial management skills.
- Proficient computer skills including Word, Excel, Quickbooks, website and database applications.
- Partnership and donor relationship development and maintenance.
Additional experience that would be desirable for this position:
- Experience in volunteer management.
- Knowledge of trail maintenance and construction.
- Knowledge of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex, its trail system and management.
- Collaboration with similar organizations.
- Wilderness living skills including Leave No Trace, map and compass, extended
trips in the backcountry, etc.
Some travel and weekend availability is required; use of your personal vehicle will be necessary with mileage reimbursement at the BMWF annual rate.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is assigned based on experience. Annual pay raises are based on merit. Benefits include paid vacation, sick leave and holidays, monthly health
insurance reimbursement, participation in BMWF's Simple IRA Plan.
Please email cover letter, resume and 3 references to email@example.com Position is open until filled.