Director of Parks
Posted: May 16, 2019
Location: Austin, TX
Manages and directs overall activities of park operations, business and product development, and park planning for LCRA Parks. Develops and communicates short and long-term goals and strategies that support modernization, self-sustainment, diversification, and innovation for the LCRA parks system. Establishes and maintains contracts, agreements, and relationships with external organizations including LCRA’s partners that offer a wide variety of outdoor recreation experiences, amenities and recreational programming within the LCRA service area. Manages the planning and maintenance required to operate the LCRA parks system.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff. Hires, trains, assigns work, evaluates and manages performance of staff in compliance with human resources policies and handles all aspects of staff supervision.
- For departments and staff reporting to this position, develops strategic and operating plans, goals, objectives, priorities and procedures that are in alignment with the strategic goals and objectives of the LCRA and the parks system.
- Prepares and manages the parks budget within fiscal limits.
- Seeks innovative opportunities to increase revenue generation in the parks.
- Manages and provides oversight for inter-local agreements, leases and contracts relating to the management and stewardship of LCRA parks.
- Directs the operations of parks, including outdoor recreation, revenue generation, facility rentals, maintenance, planning and administration.
- Develops and leads comprehensive maintenance and capital improvement projects that will modernize the parks and increase visitation and revenues. Oversees the development of charters and statements of work (SOW) for associated projects.
- Ensures safe and effective park operations including preparing for contingencies and effectively responding to emergency events.
- Builds market position for LCRA Parks by developing, negotiating and securing business.
- Identifies and recruits potential business partners by analyzing market strategies, deal requirements and financials; evaluating options; recommending equity investments for activities associated with parks and recreational programming. Manages vendor contracts and ensures compliance.
- Prepares Board agenda items and makes presentations to the LCRA Board of Directors. Drafts proposed changes to LCRA and LCRA TSC Board Policies, as needed.
- Develops, updates, and monitors compliance with policies and procedures to ensure adequate internal controls are in place to comply with applicable laws, LCRA Board Polices and departmental policies and procedures. Identifies, evaluates and controls risks to programs, projects, and resources. Collaborates with applicable business areas to minimize legal liability for parks and natural science center operations. Ensures appropriate permits and licenses are in place and adhered to.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with external stakeholders such as customers, external professional associations, regulatory bodies and the general public. Represents LCRA as required.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
Twelve or more years of relevant experience managing tourism, outdoor recreation, business management or park operations, including five or more years’ of supervisory experience. A degree(s) in recreation, parks, tourism, business, or relevant field may be substituted per LCRA guidelines for certain years of experience.