ATC Visitor Center Volunteer (WV)
Posted: August 06, 2019
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Time Commitment: TBD
- Provide a friendly greeting and orientation to those visiting the ATC visitor center, tailoring that process to visitors’ needs and interests. (Number of visitors ranges from low of 1 or 2 in winter to as many as 100 or more in summer.)
- Inspire visitors to support the A.T. through membership in the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
- Recommend local hikes to visitors - Provide information about local services and attractions.
- Ring up purchases and memberships on cash register.
- Reflect Leave No Trace principles in responses to the public.
- Photocopy or print information handouts.
- Assemble information packets.
- (Weekdays only): After training period, respond to information calls and email inquiries, redirecting to staff whenever volunteer does not have background or resources to answer accurately or completely. - Assist staff in keeping visitor center clean and tidy and keeping information materials stocked.
- Reporting your volunteer hours.
- Enjoys meeting people.
- Outgoing, friendly personality - Good listener.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Customer service experience.
- Familiarity with Harpers Ferry area day-hikes - Familiarity with Harpers Ferry services and attractions or willingness to learn
- Familiarity with Appalachian Trail and Appalachian Trail Conservancy or willingness to acquire knowledge.
- Willingness to learn new tasks and information - Willingness to ask questions when unclear about information or procedures.
- Familiarity with Leave No Trace principles, skills and practices specific to the Appalachian Trail, or willingness to learn.
Complete an online application here.
Any questions about volunteering at ATC or filling out this form? Contact Jeff Metzger at (304) 535-6331 x 103 or [email protected]
Please return completed form to:
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
P.O. Box 807
Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
Or Email application as an attachment to: [email protected]
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the locations where we operate.
More jobs with Appalachian Trail Conservancy