ATC Trail Maintainer (NY)
Posted: August 06, 2019
Location: New York
Time Commitment: TBD
- Maintain a 4 foot wide by 8 foot tall trail corridor. This is accomplished by clipping tree limbs and brush, cutting back tall grass to allow for clearance.
- Renew or replace white blaze trail markers, using only the minimum number necessary.
- Work hand in hand with the corridor monitor for that area.
- Remove fallen trees that block the Trail, or report them so that a certified sawyer can remove them.
- Clear out any drains or water bars in assigned area.
- Pick up and pack out litter along the Trail and at overnight sites.
- Break up illegal fire rings, scatter rocks and ashes, and pack out any litter.
- Eliminate shortcuts and walk-arounds
- Report trail tread-way issues where the trail may need a rehab or possible reroute.
- Visit and attend to need on Trail at least two times a year, once in the Spring and once in the Fall.
- Capable of lifting at least 25 lbs.
- Hiking over rough terrain for varying distances, in variable weather conditions, with tools and essential hiking needs in a backpack.
- Trail maintenance distances vary based on assignment. Candidates must be able to hike variable distances, over uneven terrain, in changing weather conditions, carrying a backpack that weighs 20-25 lbs.
Contact Moe Lemire at email@example.com.
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the locations where we operate.
More jobs with Appalachian Trail Conservancy