ACE FWS National Trail Inventory Data Collection Technicians, EPIC
Posted: January 13, 2021
Location: Remote but based out of the ACE office in Salt Lake City, UT
Time Commitment: Temporary, Full-Time, Salaried (Exempt). Position is an 8-month appointment with possibility of extension.
The Technicians will support ACE and the FWS National Trails Program in a variety of project-specific tasks including:
- Identify trail-related assets from a variety of sources including Service Asset Maintenance Management System (SAMMS), Cycle 2 trails inventory, Cycle 5 road inventory, refuge/hatchery websites, and the FWS national trails website.
- Participate in Trails ID calls. As needed, assist with operating web maps during Trail ID calls and digitize/edit/delete trail features with direction from station staff, Regional Transportation Coordinators, and HQ to arrive at the best approximation of trail geometry for teams to use during site visits.
- Aid in processes to recruit, interview, select, and hire new team members.
- Serve as assistant to the Trails Inventory Logistics Coordinator in logistical planning including sharing travel and lodging plans with team members.
- Communicate with refuge staff, logistics coordinator, and team members to coordinate arrival time and check in at each station.
- Prepare team members for project site visits by sharing Assigned Trail Lists, ensuring Trail Inventory Web Map layers are updated with approximate trail lines for each station, creating spatial bookmarks, and reporting bugs or missing information.
- Lead team members in conducting site visits in a safe, positive, and professional manner.
- Ensure trail inventory data is uploaded successfully and conduct initial QA/QC of raw field data.
- Identify and discuss trail inventory questions with Project Manager. Participate in discussion for questions elevated to agency staff.
- During the field season, conduct weekly meetings with team members to identify issues, concerns, and successes.
- Provide directions to team members for vehicle management and communicate vehicle issues and maintenance needs to the Logistics Coordinator.
- Coordinate with Project Manager and Logistics Coordinator on equipment purchases and delivery to teams. Update equipment inventory as needed.
- Consult with Project Manager and Recruitment and Member Manager (Americorps) regarding team member time off requests.
- Share updates and photographs to report team progress.
- Conduct field level outreach for FWS Division.
- Log and track project expenses.
- Support project tracking efforts and data entry, as needed.
- Represent ACE's philosophy and values to a wide range of audiences including members, programmatic staff, management and public.
- Foster a culture and environment that positions ACE for success and ensures that ACE is the program of choice for partners, members and staff.
- Adhere to ACE safety policies and procedures; Reports any unsafe or harmful conditions, incidents and/or accidents immediately.
- Other related duties as assigned; Responsibilities and tasks outlined are not exhaustive and may change as determined by ACE.
Physical Demands, Work Environment and Working Conditions
- Physical Demands: Requires frequent sitting, standing, walking, carrying, using hands to handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, talks and hears. Manual dexterity required for use of computer keyboard/mouse and other routine office equipment. May occasionally be required to stoop, kneel, climb stairs, and/or crouch.
- Vision Requirements: Requires close, distance, peripheral and depth perception vision as well as the ability to focus.
- Weight Lifted or Force Exerted: Frequently lifts up to 10 lbs., occasionally lifts up to 25 pounds.
- Environmental: Moderate noise such as in a business office with equipment and light traffic.
- Travel: This position requires domestic travel.
- BA/BS degree in natural or cultural resource management, or related field; or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience to support our nation's emerging professional resource management workforce and project partners. Degrees and experience in other fields will be considered.
- Practical knowledge of or experience with similar corps-oriented, non-profit organizations, land-based federal agencies such as the Department of Interior or other federal or state agencies.
- Willingness and ability to communicate and coordinate internally within ACE and with external stakeholders and partners
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication, public speaking, organization, management, conflict resolution and motivating others.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills with the ability to maintain and effectively support a complex array of projects .
- Computer skills required including knowledge of Excel and professional email etiquette. Experience with ESRI ArcGIS Pro, Collector, and Survey123 desired.
- Ability to function as an adaptable team member displaying professional-level proficiencies in both technical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to receive and provide constructive feedback.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow ACE systems and processes.
- Proven ability to work independently and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- Willingness to travel and work occasional weekends.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Valid driver's license and an insurable driving record
- Proficient in English
- Ability to pass a federal criminal background check
- Willing to abide by ACE Policy and Federal Drug Free workplace policies and laws. ACE reserves the right to drug test at any time.
Salary and Benefits
Full-Time, 40 hours/week within a flexible schedule. Competitive pay with a benefits package that includes health, dental, vision and supplemental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, designated holidays and 401k retirement for qualified employees
Please navigate to the ACE website: https://usaconservationstaff.a... to fill out an application. You must include a resume, one-page cover letter, and three professional references. Qualified applicants selected for interviews will be contacted by email. Applicants must follow all application instructions in order to be considered for this opportunity. Please note that this position may close at any time. Contact Katie Lyon, FWS National Trail Inventory Project Manager, at [email protected] with questions.
American Conservation Experience is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified employee or applicant has the same opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetics or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. ACE supports diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage all individuals to apply, including those from diverse and underrepresented communities.