2021 BCC-Front Range Climbing Stewards Crew Leader
Posted: January 11, 2021
Location: Golden/Boulder area, Colorado
Time Commitment: The season is scheduled from late March through early November 2021 and based predominantly in the Golden/Boulder area.
The Boulder Climbing Community is looking to hire professional individuals for its Front Range Climbing Stewards (FRCS) crew for the 2021 field season. This position requires a passion for the outdoors, proven trail-building skills, conservation and stewardship education experience, excellent communication skills, volunteer coordination experience and team collaboration. The FRCS Crew Leader position will lead a professional steward program designed to complete a variety of projects associated with improving environmental, safety, and user conditions at climbing areas throughout the Front Range region. The FRCS Crew Lead position is a field-based position, consisting of regular physically demanding work on-trail, at the crags as well as a small amount of work within the community.
- Develop, implement, and supervise project construction strategies alongside FRCS Program Manager and ensure solid day-to-day communication amongst the crew regarding progress.
- Assume moderate to advanced field operation management responsibilities (scope of work assessment, assignment of projects, crew supervision, end of project reporting etc).
- Actively engage and educate the outdoor community about BCC’s work via volunteer opportunities and events.
- Manage day-to-day field operations, crew members, and volunteers and assign proper tasks that makes FRCS function efficiently.
- Assess, train and supervise fellow crew members and volunteers on safe and efficient techniques for material quarrying/gathering, transport, and construction of stone structures, as well as restoration of natural landscapes at project sites.
- Safely & efficiently work with a variety of tools (including; grip hoist (& other rigging equipment), power tools, rock hammers & chisels, rock bars, power drill and feathers & wedges) and maintain equipment conditions and an up to date tool inventory.
- Ensure that proper reporting is completed: Project & daily tool inventories, incident reports and volunteer paperwork.
- Provide crew feedback in the form of mid-season and end of season performance evaluations.
- Coordinate the volunteer outreach effort with the Program Manager, including preparation of outreach website and communications with BCC Marketing team.
- Interact with land managers and community members in a polite and professional manner to promote the mission of FRCS and BCC.
- Advanced trail work & restoration experience and skills, with an emphasis on intensive projects and stonework, stone quarrying, rigging, and material management.
- Advanced experience training, supervising and/or managing others
- Moderate to advanced experience managing work sites and/or projects
- Capability of documenting project metrics via field notes and photos
- Ability to coordinate with Program Manager and Land Managers to complete project objectives
- Moderate to advanced computer skills
- Reliable transportation.
- Possess knowledge of how recreationists use natural terrain.
- Passion for people, the outdoors, education, and stewardship.
- Possesses a very strong work ethic and drive for a quality finished product.
- A high level of fitness: Hiking with weight and on unsure terrain, Strong cardiovascular fitness, ability to lift up to and exceeding 50 lbs on a continual basis.
- Ability to learn and master new skills on a continual basis.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, including public speaking.
- Keen judgment and experience managing risk on a continual basis.
- Experience in rope work and anchor building is heavily weighted.
Salary and Benefits
Hourly salary range of $23.00-$27.00 | One week-40 hours PTO | Field expenses compensated during overnight projects: workday food per diem and mileage reimbursement | Outdoor industry pro deals
Send resume and cover letter, specifically addressing your qualifications as related to the position, electronically to Ryan Kuehn, FRCS Program Manager: [email protected]. Please write "2021 FRCS Crew Lead" on the subject line. The job search will continue until the positions are filled. No calls or paper submissions please.