Copies of the Trails 2000 report are available from Cam
Lockwood, Angeles National Forest, 701 Santa Anita Ave., Arcadia CA
91006-2799; 818/574-5273. Information on the SWECO 450 Trail Dozer is
available from John Mueller, Sutter Equipment Co., 80 Chamberlain
Ave., Novato CA 94947; 415/898-5955.
The Angeles National Forest in southern California published a report in February, 1996, by recreation staff Cam Lockwood which looked at trail maintenance issues on 1,000 miles of heavily-used trails. One cost-effective option is increasing the use of specialized trail-building equipment. Conclusions reached in the Trails 2000 report included:
1. Public demand for trails is far outstripping the available resources to build and maintain trails of all types.
2. Managing trail programs the "old way" just isn't good enough; more efficient and better means are absolutely essential.
3. The most economical trails are multi-purpose trails.
4. The most cost effective trail width from a construction and maintenance standpoint is 3-4 feet.
5. The only chance we have to close the gap between public demand and available resources is to use mechanized means to build and maintain our trails.