On this page:
Training & Education
providers of training and resources
Read more details on
important programs and trails training
provided by National Trails Training
Be listed a training provider! Send your information to nttp@AmericanTrails.org
Trails sponsors Webinars
on key trails topics and the International
Trails Symposium, the premier
opportunity for a wide range of
Trail Conference provides Trail
Skills Workshops for volunteers
- Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals monthly webinars reach a wide audience of agency staff, consultants, and advocates on bike/ped programs, facilities, and urban trails
- Backcountry Horsemen sponsor "Leave No Trace" Trainer Programs
Designs, Inc. and American Trails
sponsor the Universal
Trail Assessment Process training
for improving the accessibility and
maintenance of trails.
- Ice Age Trail Alliance hosts the Mobile Skills Crew, a group of highly trained volunteers whose mission is to educate and empower other volunteers in trail work, structures (bridges, retaining walls, etc.), and leadership development.
Mountain Bicycling Association sponsors the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care
Crews with 70 events this year in
36 U.S. states and three Canadian
Association of State Trail Administrators is a professional organization of
program managers for trails and greenway
funding and planning in all 50 states. States meet annually
for training on Recreational Trails
Program administration, trail development,
accessibility, and other issues.
- National Center on Accessibility provides training courses and distance learning programs on many aspects of accessibility, including parks and recreation facilities and programs.
Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council sponsors several statewide workshops
for OHV planning and management, as
well as an annual conference.
- National Recreation and Park Association provides a wide range of educational opportunities. Professionals looking to maintain certification levels can earn CEUs.
York-New Jersey Trail Conference provides a variety of workshops on
trail maintenance and improvement.
for the National Trails System sponsors the annual Conference on
National Scenic and Historic Trails.
Recreation and Park Society hosts
a variety of training on trails and
- Student Conservation
Association trains youth in trail
work as well as Ecological Restoration,
Natural Science, and Resource Management.
Tread Trainer courses from Tread
Lightly! train participants in
innovative, practical methods of spreading
of Land Management sponsors the
Partnership series in local communities,
and classes at the National Training
- The Arthur
Carhart National Wilderness Training
Center was established to "foster
interagency excellence in wilderness
stewardship" with courses and
Highway Administration provides
funding for the Recreational Trails
Program, research publications, programs
for State Trail Administrators, and
University Park and Recreation
Resources program of Huntington, WV,
has developed and is teaching a series
of off-highway vehicle courses via
Fish & Wildlife Service sponsors the
Trail Management Process course and operates the National
Conservation Training Center.
Park Service provides a wide variety
of resources through its Rivers &
Trails Conservation Assistance and
- Shawnee National Forest Volunteer Corps program offers the Master Trail Steward trails training course in partnership with Shawnee Community College.
- Trails Unlimited provides Consulting, Construction and Maintenance services, as well as Training as a formal lecture/hands-on lab course or on-the-job during a planned project
- The Missoula
Technology and Development Center
of the USDA
Forest Service develops products
and information for the public to
improve trail construction and maintenance
- Chinook Associates LLC - Kim Frederick provides a wide variety of training for youth as well as professionals through webinars, state park agencies, and locally-sponsored workshops
- Off Road Consulting and Driving Instruction - Teaching safe and smart trail riding on legal/designated trails. Preserving nature and the environment is a key component in our training classes. The trainer, Kyle Buchter, is a certified trainer for the International Four Wheel Drive Trainer's Association and a certified Master Tread Lightly trainer.
- PENN TRAILS LLC provides specific curriculum, materials and instructors needed to teach understanding of contemporary natural-surface trail planning, technology, rehabilitation and conservation practices.
Trailbuilders Association sponsors
the annual Trailbuilders Conference
and maintains a roster of experts in trail design and construction.
- RecConnect: training and education presentations that are packed with the tools for success,; specializing in OHV trails.
- Tony Boone Trails, LLC provides training for volunteers, staff and trail builders, as well as training and certification on Sutter and SWECO Trail Dozer and other types of trail building equipment.
Design Specialists (Mike Riter)
offer design, construction, maintenance
and crew leader courses
- TrailsGuy, LLC - John Favro teaches sustainable trail planning, construction and maintenance for agencies and other local sponsors
States and statewide groups
the list of NTTP
Steering Committee members and
a comprehensive list of agencies
and organizations supporting the
National Trails Training Partnership.
of our documents are in PDF format
and require free Adobe Acrobat
Trails and NTTP support accessibility
with Section 508: read