* View this email as a web page
As a member of the Coalition for Recreational Trails (CRT), American Trails urges organizations of every size and interest to become a Supporter of the Recreational Trails Program (RTP). Every state and every trail activity benefits from the Recreational Trails Program, and we need your support!
Supporting reauthorization of the Recreational Trails Program
Urgent action needed to fund Recreational Trails Program!
A bi-partisan "Dear Colleague" letter is being circulated by Rep. Tom Petri (R-WI) and Rep. Mike Michaud (D-ME) to ask Members of the House of Representatives to include funding for the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) in the upcoming Transportation Reauthorization Bill which is now being written by the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. We need your help to encourage your Member of the U.S. House of Representatives to sign the "Dear Colleague" letter.
Urgent action is needed by April 14, 2011: Please ask your Member of the U.S. House of Representatives to sign on to Rep. Petri’s and Michaud’s "Dear Colleague" letter supporting the continuation of the RTP in the upcoming surface transportation bill, by April 14, 2011, when the letter will close. Here's how to find your Representative...
Our basic message is that the RTP is a very effective, user-pay/user-benefit program and a proven success story. It serves as the foundation for state trail programs across the country, leverages hundreds of millions of dollars of additional support for trails, encourages productive cooperation among trail users, and facilitates healthy outdoor recreation and associated, badly needed economic activity in countless communities. The program has broad-base support— as evidenced by the 471 groups and agencies that are supporting the RTP. And, if you can, please add your own compelling arguments based on your experience with the RTP..
Here are two resources you can provide your Representative:
Here are additional ways YOU can support reauthorization of the Recreational Trails Program:
CRT has created a Council of Advisors comprised of organizations that support RTP’s continuation. Advisors add their names to letters to key Members of Congress, to the Administration, and to others. In addition, Advisors reach out to other organizations to ask them to sign-on and to help in a variety of ways.
We would like to suggest several important ways that you can help secure the future of RTP funding for trails:
- Sign on as a member of the Recreational Trails Program Council of Advisors.
- Ask any organization or agency you know to sign on as a member of the RTP Council of Advisors.
- Contact your Members of Congress – Senators and Representatives alike! Invite them to an RTP-funded trail ground-breaking, to a volunteer work day, or to a National Trails Day celebration. Tell the media about these events too, and then send news clips to your Congressional offices. Tell them about your success stories and about the myriad of people of all ages and abilities that love and use these trails!
- Ask other friends of trails to contact their Members of Congress about RTP.
Please pass this message on through your networks!
Thank you, in advance, for your support and swift action!
Pam Gluck, Executive Director
Follow American Trails on Facebook and Twitter: