Leave No Trace
The Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics teaches people how to enjoy the outdoors responsibly.
As the leading educator of outdoor ethics, the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics will grow a nation of outdoor advocates to put the Leave No Trace principles into action.
2011 STRATEGIC PRIORITIES
Local Community Participation: Developing and supporting dedicated members, volunteers and educators at the local level, the Center will fully realize community-based Leave No Trace programs.
Youth Education: Building on programs that support educational initiatives, the Center will cultivate the next generation of environmental stewards
Frontcountry Outreach: Promoting Leave No Trace practices in close-to-home and day-use areas where 90% of our nation’s outdoor recreation occurs, the Center will provide onsite education, focused grants and multicultural outreach. Frontcountry education will boost Leave No Trace practices at the local level.
- Is committed to the enjoyment, health and protection of recreational resources on natural lands for all people;
- Believes that education is the best means to protect natural lands from recreational impacts while helping maintain access for recreation and enjoyment;
- Is founded on outdoor ethics whereby a sense of stewardship is gained through understanding and connecting with the natural world;
- Believes that practicing the Leave No Trace principles is the most relevant and effective long-term solution to maintaining the beauty, health of, and access to natural lands;
- Is science-based and builds ethical, pragmatic approaches to resource protection for varying types of outdoor recreation and enjoyment;
- Strives to build key partnerships that support education programs, training and communities of volunteers, educators, land managers, organizations and corporations committed to teaching and instilling the values of Leave No Trace;
- Is inclusive, for all people, and focused on all non-motorized recreation activities occurring on natural lands;
- Is apolitical and dedicated to education;
- Does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, military status or disability in the administration of its education, outreach, employment, and other Center administered programs and activities;
- Remains committed to its mission, core values, projects and programs without deviation.